Commercial lotion is full of known carcinogens — visit Skindeep and look up your brand if you don’t believe me. Here’s a simple alternative that smells amazing and works wonderfully.
- 4 Vanilla Rooibos teabags
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp liquid Vitamin E (or a couple capsules)
- Double boiler, wooden spoon, and a clean bottle or jar with an airtight lid.
Heat double boiler over low-medium heat; you want the water hot but NOT boiling. Place teabags in top pot, cover with the olive oil. Now let time and head work it’s magic! Gently heat it for a few hours, periodically poke and squeeze the teabags with the spoon. When the infusion seems strong enough, remove from heat. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then carefully remove teabags from oil — be sure and squeeze out as much of the oil from them as you can. Stir in vitamin E, and transfer to your clean bottle or jar. Allow to cool with lid loosely close, then tighten lid securely.
Shelf life – up to 2 months. Always discard product if it develops a strange smell or color.
- pour desired amount into hand and massage into skin — this is most effective after a warm shower or bath. For added benefit, massage towards your heart — it stimulates your circulation.
- add approximately 3 tablespoons to your bath after you’ve been soaking for a few minutes; the oil will lock the moisture into your skin.
- facial cleanser – massage oil into face; cover with a washcloth that has been soaked with hot water and wrung out. When cloth cools, use it to gently remove excess oil.
- use as a facial moisturizer too — warm a small amount between your hands, gently massage into face.