Little Home, Big World

…what would Ma do?

Nano-diary, Day 16: Voices November 16, 2010

Filed under: Blahging,Writing — bethanyjoy @ 8:09 pm
Tags: , ,

…no, I’m not talking to – er – about the ones in my head. Well, not entirely; they do play a part in this…I’m talking about character voices. I remember reading (although I can’t remember where I read it) that ideally each character in your story should have such a clear voice that dialogue tags – he said, she said – aren’t necessary.

I’m eons away from that being true in my own writing. But this Nano, I think I’m getting closer. I can write Michal and Donovan – they’re my heroine and hero, respectively – in a scene, and they actually sound like, well, themselves. Not me. And not like each other. They are individuals, and so uniquely clear in my mind that I can hear them speaking, and it’s just a matter of writing it out.

Even more exciting? The story is written in first-person point-of-view, told through Michal’s eyes, and about 75% of the time, it’s her voice that’s coming through in the narration. Not me. (The other 25%…well, that’s what editing is for!)

If you’ve ever tried your hand at fiction, you know how exciting this is. If you haven’t – go drink a double espresso, eat a bar of dark chocolate, and come back to finish reading this post – your overall excitement level might be close to what mine is right now. Or maybe not. You’ll probably need to down a couple bottles of Dr. Pepper first.

And if you’re a writer – you get it. Or I hope you get it. And if you don’t, I hope you get it soon! 🙂

Advertisements
 

One Response to “Nano-diary, Day 16: Voices”

  1. theboardbitch Says:

    I get it, I really do..


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s