I had great plans last summer to complete my 30 before 30 list. Then life happened. Which is fine…my motivation behind the original list was a desire to live with intent, rather than letting life sweep me along. Intentional living involves planning…but it also involves seizing the opportunities as they come, rather than being so fixated on any given goal that you miss the chances that grow out of a busy life. Here’s where the 30 before 30 list ended up:
Bethany’s (revised and altered) 30 before 30
- Go to an amusement park without the kids and ride all the big roller-coasters August 8, 2010
- Assemble a family tree picture wall. It didn’t happen quite as I envisioned it…but I did sort, print, and frame a bunch of family photos…and even got them up on the wall. September 2010
- Start jogging with my 6-year-old. He wins.
- Sew a slipcover for the couch. July 2010
- Knit Bry a sweater. October 2010
- Design and publish at least two new knitting/crocheting patterns. They aren’t online yet, but I’ve written a few for the students in my knitting class. January 2011
- Find super comfy jeans that fit. May 2011 (This is always worth celebrating. 😉 )
- Stop biting my fingernails April 2011
- Write another NANOWRIMO novel. Completed November 29, 2010! 54, 755 words. Woot-woot!
- Write my 3rd novel. In progress…
- Spend weekend stripping wallpaper, painting, and visiting with my Nana. Nov. 2010
- Get a book I own signed by the author “The Gathering” signed by Kelley Armstrong, May 2011
- Learn how to make really.really.really.yummy custard. Mmmm. April 2011
- Find a new band/musical artist that I *love*. Mumford & Sons! February 2011
- Start writing poetry again. Ongoing!
- Make my own pasta. Not quite…but I’ve developed kickass bread-baking skills instead. Yum!
- Learn to make beaded stitch markers. Knitting bling. It’s all that. 😉
- Share written work with others for critique and input. Winter/Spring 2011 – This is probably the goal I’m most proud of, it required a massive amount of willpower/courage for me, but has proved incredibly helpful and encouraging.
- Go away with hubby for longer than 24 hours! We owe the Ultimate Uncle and Awesomest Aunt big-time. 🙂
- Discover new (to me) authors I enjoy: Jeanine Frost, Seanan McGuire, Lois Macmaster Bujold, Rob Thurman, Jennifer Estep, Scott Westerfield.
- Use the camera on my iPhone. So it’s not DSLR…but since it’s always within reach, at least I’m using it to document life on a regular basis. 🙂
- Grow hair out. Although, I’m not giving up on the purple yet…
- Find & attend a writing circle. Winter 2011
- Learn how to remember people’s names when I meet them. Still needs improvement, but I’m getting better. The key is to use the name at least 3 times in the initial meeting, if possible.
- Go downhill skiing. No…but I went zip-lining instead. Wheeeeeee!
- Learn to knit with beads. Lace with beads, even. Mad skillz, those… 😉
- Get a part-time job. This one was an unplanned goal, and has had a major impact on the changes to this list. It’s been good, though – a few hours out of the house each week is good for one’s sanity.
- Complete ACE English (final grade: 95%)
- Start teaching knitting classes. Another unexpected event! One of my favorite things now…
- Take bellydancing lessons. I still want to do this! Unfortunately I’ve somehow ended up taking math instead. Don’t ask me how THAT happened. *sigh*
And since this post is all about lists, here’s another:
Lessons Learned in the Last Year:
- Perfection is a foolish goal. Strive for excellence instead.
- You’re less likely to say something in anger that you’ll regret later if you sit down, lower your voice, and look the other person in the eyes during an argument.
- Colorful scarves and nail polish make any day better.
- Deep breathing is almost as good as chocolate when you’re feeling stressed. (Chocolate + breathing = even better.)
- Peace comes from knowing who you are, what you need, and where you want to go.